I just couldn’t resist this 1953 Jell-O ad, for here we have Mr. Weatherbee from Archie dressed up like Old King Cole. Everyday is Halloween at Riverdale High! I guess that is Jughead’s previously-unknown younger cousin coming to the principal’s office to drop off a big Jell-O mold. If he drops it off all over the floor – and this does seem likely – there will be trouble.
Whatever the back story is, we need another 4th line for the beauteous poem in the ad. “Jell-O of course,” indeed! I can think of some other things, too:
Riddle me, riddle me, riddle me ree
What dessert tastes as good as can be?
What’s economical? Quick to prepare?
- I have no idea, now get out of my hair.
- Stale cookies? Old cupcakes? I really don’t care.
- How ’bout some grapes or maybe a pear.
- I think we still have that old frozen eclair.
- I’m sure there’s some pudding in the green Tupperware.
- Veronica tried to make brownies: beware!