Here’s the weekly* Retro Recipe that puts the Kitchen in Kitchen Retro! This one is a banana cream pie, suitable for throwing if you are Lucy, Ethel or one of the Three Stooges (or just in that kind of mood) – or for eating, because it is probably an All Right Recipe. Not outstandingly exciting, but not innately disturbing either.
First I want to talk about the strange little banana, then we’ll run through the pie-making.
So, the banana. What is she planning on doing with that box of pudding? She wants to marry it, I suppose – in a metaphorical, pie-eyed sense. The My-T-Fine does not look too enthusiastic though. This may be because boxes of pudding are not known for their expressive natures. She seems to be taking it somewhere and no one’s going to stop her! This banana is in love. It’s a little one-sided, but she means business.
Also she is wearing bows on her – I guess they are legs. And she has an apron on. So maybe she is planning on making a pie out of the My-T-Fine and – some of her banana friends. I just don’t know what’s going to happen, but I am uneasy about this.
Moving on to the pie – before you make it you have to digest some nauseating motivational copy: “Want to make a hit with your he-man? Serve him the pie voted ‘tops’ by GIs.” Since this ad is from 1953, they are either referring to Korean War vets or possibly to their Gastro-Intestinal tracts. And who wouldn’t want a pie rated so highly by those? He-men (snort) have got to watch those delicate GI tracts.
Anyway, here’s how you make this therapeutic dessert:
1. Get a premade pie shell out. Put it on the table and stare at it for a minute. Yeah, go on, you really do want to do this.
2. Cook up the My-T-Fine or whatever vanilla pudding mix you have in the house. Use a cup and a half of milk and two egg yolks – just dump it all in the pan and cook it. Maybe you had better beat the egg yolks first though.
3. Slice up a banana and put the slices on the bottom of the pie shell. Then dump the pudding in on top.
4. “Allow to cool.” Yes, little pie, you have permission to cool off! Take it easy, now.
5. After it is all calm, cool and collected you may put meringue on top or whipped cream. If you have an extra banana, now would be the time to slice it and stick that on top too. Hey, knock yourself out.
But if the banana you have saved for the pie runs off with the box of vanilla pudding – make something else.
*Weekly in the sense of “if I feel like doing a Retro Recipe that week.” A loose definition of weekly, really. If I don’t find anything that entertains me that week in a culinary sense, we’ll just skip it, OK?
A huge thank you to Webfixer, who kindly helped me, via the Blogger Help Group, to be reunited with my blog titles! He has a blog over here at Webfixer which I have now bookmarked – although I expect those titles to settle down now that they have had a vacation!