I’m not doing a links post today – I’ll probably just do them when the mood strikes. It was a long week and there was a heatwave in Ontario and, well, that’s my excuse. I will try and post a couple of short posts today, as I will not be running around buying socks and things at thousands of stores, and standing in millions of checkout lines. That was quite a popular thing to do yesterday around here. I felt quite plugged into the Zeitgeist, I tell you!
Making fun of things like, say, 40 Famous Menus From O.K. Economy and Shop-Rite is much more enjoyable!
What a lot of Kraft products there were (and no doubt are)! Too bad only one seems to be used in this lovely sandwich recipe. I’ll bet you could probably fit a few other Kraft ingredients in there somewhere, anyway. Check out the top picture (and there’s another inside the back cover of the book, too, with even more stuff) – blackberry jam, caramels, mustard, Romano cheese, Spaghetti Dinner. Creativity counts in these 1950s recipes, you know!
Canned Pineapple Slices
Velveeta Pasteurized Process Cheese
1. Slice hamburger buns in half. Spread each half with peanut butter.
2. Place on broiler rack. Cover each bun half with a slice of pineapple.
3. From loaf of Velveeta Pasteurized Process Cheese cut one slice of cheese for each bun half.
4. Place slice of cheese over each slice of pineapple.
5. Place Hawaiian Sandwiches under low broiler, heat unti lVelveeta melts. Garnish with maraschino cherries. Serve immediately.
You may not want to eat them immediately though – if ever.