I gather that a lot of people really like the Marshmallow Favors I wrote about last week, so I thought I’d do a little series on how to make them. They really are cute, aren’t they? So please come back often to see how to make them!
I will feature two at a time – though George the Giraffe is going to have to be on his own, as there are a total of eleven critters, McCall’s not being Noah’s-Arklike. Though I’ll bet you could make a Noah’s Ark out of these guys for a centerpiece.
Here’s what you are going to need:
1 1/2 cups unsifted confectioner’s sugar
1 egg white, unbeaten
In small bowl of electric mixer on medium, beat sugar with egg white until mixture is thick enough to hold a definite shape. Keep glue covered with damp cloth until ready to use. Makes about half a cup. When using on favors, let glue dry completely on each part before going on to next part.
You will also need:
large and mini marshmallows (of course)
licorice string candy and soft licorice candy
small soft gumdrops
wooden picks and skewers
brown and white paper
MARY’S LITTLE LAMB
1. Insert 4 wooden picks in sides of large marshmallow, for legs; insert legs into inverted paper plate for support.
2. Glue 2 rows of mini marshmallows (about 10 for each row) around side of large marshmallow. Then glue more around front and back, leaving space in front for nose.
3. Glue piece of licorice candy to marshmallow for a nose; add 2 pieces of licorice string to right and left of nose, for eyes.
PRIMROSE THE PIGLET
1. Run wooden pick through two large marshmallows (flat ends together) and one mini mashmallow, for body, head, and snout.
2. Insert 4 wooden picks in body, for legs.
3. Use pieces of licorice string for nostrils, eyes and tail.
4. Cut out small, pointed ears from white paper. Make slits in head with wet knife; insert ears.
I may alternate these critters with some other retro fun, but do look out for them! Next critters will be: Frosty the Snowman and Timmy the Turtle.