Their 1952 promotional booklet, 70 Magic Recipes, is full of bewitching recipes: Magic Fruit Surprise Cake, Magic Pumpkin Pie, Magic Chocolate Pie, Magic 6-in-1 Cookies, Magic Baked Custard, Magic Chocoalte Sauce, Magic Mayonnaise, Magic French Fudge and Magic Chocolate Frosting. There are also several non-magic recipes (despite the title), but who needs them?
Borden’s says that these are “Cookies That Almost Make Themselves.” OK, you’ve sold me. That’s just the kind of recipe I need! This makes about 4 dozen cookies (or 24 dozen if each one equals 6, yikes!) – so they’d better know what to do. That’s a lot of cookies making themselves, and I don’t have a lot of counter space (unlike the Sealtest ladies).
Magic 6-in-1 Cookies3 cups sifted flour
3 tsps baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 (15-oz.) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk1. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients; blend thoroughly.
2. Add only one of the following:
1. Chocolate……1 (6-oz.) package semi-sweet chocolate pieces
2. Raisin…..1 1/2 cups raisins
3. Cornflakes……1 1/2 cups cornflakes
4. Coconut……1 (4-oz.) package (1 1/2 cups) shredded coconut, toasted
5. Date……1 1/2 cups chopped dates
6. Nut……1 1/2 cups chopped nut meats
3. Drop by level tablespoonfuls onto well-greased baking sheet.
4. Bake in moderate oven (350 F) about 8 to 10 minutes or until delicately browned around edges.
5. Remove from baking sheet immediately.
Now the photo (shown above) is slightly confusing, but there are 5 cookie recipes on the facing page, the 6-in-1′s are labelled with the green circle with the ’1′ in it. And there are six of those, one each of the chocolate, the raisin, etc.
If they make themselves, though, why can’t they get off the cookie sheet on their own? That thing is hot to sit on, you know.
Also, why can you only add one extra ingredient? Clearly if you add in, say, chocolate chips AND raisins, the game’s up. They’ll just sit there and refuse to do any work. Definitely not on the menu at Hogwarts, I think.